print without newline?

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Sat Sep 2 09:21:21 EDT 2000

ian wrote:
> >Actually, it doesn't put a space after the "Hello.", the next print
> >statement puts a space before its output.
>
> I'm sure there is logic behind this choice, but it escapes me.
>
> Can anyone explain why print should put a space out first?

here's how it works:

a print statement is compiled into several bytecode instructions
(opcodes); there's one PRINT_ITEM for each comma-separated
item, and one PRINT_NEWLINE at the end (unless the statement
ends with a comma).

:::

in other words,

    print a, b, c

is compiled into:

    PRINT_ITEM a
    PRINT_ITEM b
    PRINT_ITEM c
    PRINT_NEWLINE

while

    print a, b, c,

results in:

    PRINT_ITEM a
    PRINT_ITEM b
    PRINT_ITEM c

each file-like object implements a "softspace" attribute, which
is used by these two opcodes.  if this flag is set, PRINT_ITEM
prints a space before the actual item.

PRINT_ITEM always sets the flag, PRINT_NEWLINE clears it:

>>> print "a", ; sys.stdout.softspace = 0 ; print "b"
ab
>>> print "a" ; sys.stdout.softspace = 1 ; print "b"
>>>

> And can they confirm that the FIRST print in the program does not.

don't you think we would have noticed by now? ;-)

</F>

<!-- (the eff-bot guide to) the standard python library:
-->