Python Metalanguage confusticates and bebothers me...

Johann Hibschman johann at
Wed Sep 6 03:10:18 CEST 2000

Jonadab the Unsightly One writes:

> Python itself is okay (well, so far anyway).  But the
> metalanguage -- the terminology used to discuss features
> of the language -- is weirding me out.  "Dictionaries"
> aren't dictionaries at all, they're associative arrays.
> "Tuples" don't necessarily have three elements.  I
> suppose once I get used to this stuff it'll be okay...
> but it reminds me of Reinhold Neibuhr.

Um.  "Dictionary" is a common word for associative arrays, and there
is nothing in the word "tuple" which implies 3.  Now if they were
called "triplets", that would be something different.

Johann Hibschman                           johann at