Python 2.0b1 is released!

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sat Sep 9 10:44:22 EDT 2000

Richard van de Stadt wrote:

> Toby Dickenson wrote:
> >
> > nospam at ktgroup.co.uk (Pat Knight) wrote:
> >
> > >Sadly, it now means there's *more than one way to do it* (x += 1 and
> > >x = x +1). I understand the two might have slightly different semantics in
> > >some cases?
> >
> > Which makes only one way to do each. Not so bad ;-)
> >
> > Toby Dickenson
> > tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
>
> Talking about adding 1 to x:
>
> Are x++, ++x now also allowed?
> (did someone say c++?)

I doubt that many will ask for those, and I very *seriously* doubt that
Guido would ever allow them.  For one thing, "x += 1" is entirely
adequate for incrementing, in the ordinary case.  The less ordinary
cases that make them useful in C don't apply in Python, due to it lack
of pointers and its for-loop syntax.

there-should-be-one--and-prefereably-no-more-than-*two*--obvious
   -ways-to-do-something-<wink>-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com