Python in game development?

Kragen Sitaker kragen at dnaco.net
Fri Sep 1 17:28:39 EDT 2000

In article <m13U0xJ-000wcEC at swing.co.at>,
Christian Tanzer <tanzer at swing.co.at> wrote:
>kragen at dnaco.net (Kragen Sitaker) wrote:
>> On 2000-04-22, I did a microbenchmark consisting of the stupid way to
>> compute Fibonacci numbers; the Python version was as follows:
>
>Quite interesting.
>
>It took me two minutes to optimize your Python code by more than a
>factor of 500 (Python 1.5.2 on a PentiumPro 200 running Linux 2.0.29,
>libc5):

I did say "the stupid way".  It takes time exponential in the value of
its argument.  The idea was just to run lots and lots of fundamental
operations with only a few lines of code.

>Now that optimization is obvious. My point is that Python favors
>optimization much more than some of the other languages you
>benchmarked (C the most obvious case, I don't know about Forth).

Of course you are correct.
--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves