Unicode + SuperUltraAllNewGetItNow Python Upgrade questions: ASP/VBScript->Python

Jason Cunliffe jasonic at nomadicsltd.com
Thu Sep 7 10:41:58 EDT 2000

Alex

That was great reply.
Thank you very much.

It seems like Python is going through some unavoidable growing pains right
now.
Lots of new goodies and options, lots of small-time confusion and
versionitis headaches while everyone catches up.
And then I imagine the number of new people using and learning Python will
increase considerably and ultimeatly this must be a very good thing for all.

It makes me wonder though if it might be a good idea to develop a little
python script which grep inserts a line at he top of all the .py files in
directory or recursively below it to identify what version it comes with.
For example insert:

usePyVersion = '152'   #or '20b1' or something.

Then make a little usePyVersion parsing tool which sniffs out the
'usePyVersion' value, advises of any variation across import statements and
can direct it to use the appropriate python stored maybe via a dictionary:
PyVersionPath = {'152':'c:\\program files\\python\\python152\\python.exe',
'20b1': 'd:\\python20b1\\python.exe' }

PyVersionPath [usePyVersion ]

perhaps even spits out an XML tree report showing the versions by group..

This way one can keep the various trees of python code around [assuming
enough disk space]. This way one can maintain legacy stuff during the next
6-12 months period while all th packages and binaries catch up.
All new work can proceed in the default latest/stable release. Except wher
one needs to use something which has not yet been supported.
Physically one can locate it anywhere, since a global 'usePyVersion'
variable would allow fast changes and updates to fall into place.

It seems the realtively long stabel period of recent Python history has
encouraged a dirctory-driven 'id' system.
But what is needed now is an explicit emebedded Id system within every .py
file. I am thinkninghere if things like wxPython, BerkeleyDB, Metakit etc,
col things but many of which depend on .dll, .pyd or large inter-dependent
sets of files.

..thoughts?

cheers
- Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS.(Interactive Art and Technology).Design Director

news:8p7q6e019hv at news1.newsguy.com...