Public Domain Python

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Fri Sep 15 10:49:03 EDT 2000

In article <39C14021.50CF428D at seebelow.org>, Grant Griffin wrote:

>For example, in the past I have designed little black boxes for
>aircraft; the user doesn't want the source code (he relies on regulatory
>authorities to assure its "quality"), and the manufacture doesn't want
>to open it up to his competitors.  Therefore, to generalize a little, in
>cases where opening the source code brings little or no value to end
>users (as in the case of little black aircraft boxes), keeping it closed
>is a better business proposition.  The principle, then, is that when the
>"cost" of opening source code to the author is more than the "value"
>that the end-user gains, it will not happen.

The embedded systems area is one that's likely to remain closed
simply because there's little benefit to either the user or the
vendor opening it.

OTOH, the amount of open-source in the _tools_ for embedded
systems development has increased tremendously in the past few
years.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I think I'll do BOTH
                                  at               if I can get RESIDUALS!!