Public Domain Python

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Tue Sep 19 13:29:13 EDT 2000

In article <LNBBLJKPBEHFEDALKOLCKELGHGAA.tim_one at email.msn.com>, "Tim says...
>Sorry, but I don't want to argue about the GPL at all, and especially not on
>c.l.py.

Me neither. ;-)

>Here's the first page of a fine article where you can read some
>U.S. law professors arguing about it (incl. the FSF's general counsel, Eben
>Moglen):
>
>    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/2000/1/

Hey, that was good reading.  Here's my favorite part:

"But still unanswered in the minds of many in the legal community is whether or
not the GPL is in fact a contract, and if so, to whom it applies. This adds a
new level of complexity, because in the United States copyright is a federal law
(and the U.S. has agreed to international copyright conventions), while contract
law is a state matter."

let's-be-sure-to-specify-the-jurisdictional-state-in-the-next-Python-license-so-it-will-be-gpl-compatible-<wink>-ly
y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation            http://www.iowegian.com