Python Metalanguage confusticates and bebothers me...

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Sep 19 07:43:21 EDT 2000

"Stephen Hansen" <stephen at cerebralmaelstrom.com> wrote:

> You see, Python has three kinds of arrays. To make things easier
> to understand, they are each called something distinct, and not
> 'immutable arrays', 'mutable dynamic-lengthed arrays' and
> 'associative arrays'. They're 'tuples', 'lists', and 'dictionaries'.
>
> Isn't that easier to understand?

No, having lists be a special kind of array is confusing
for me too, and seems *backwards*.  (Lisp and Perl background
showing through there, I guess.)  I'd be less confused if
they were called static arrays ("sarrays" for short), mutable
lists ("lists"), and associative arrays ("hashes"), or something
like that.  Give me time to get used to this new different
jargon.  Actually, the deal with "dictionaries" isn't so much
that it's confusing as that it takes plain too long to say.
"dicts" would be better except for the unfortunate phonological
similarities to another term.

- jonadab