What is Python?

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Tue Sep 26 16:57:48 EDT 2000

In article <39D02F19.2A13F38C at my.signature>, Greg Ewing wrote:
>Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> Hey, at least we've only got one word for "the" and none of
>> that silly "gender" stuff.
>
>We do have a little bit of gender stuff in the pronouns for
>animate entities.

IMO, that's entirely different.  In English, we use use some
sex-indicating pronouns.  Gender is a gramamtical concept and
is a property of the words themselves. Sex is a biological one,
and a property of the organism.  English does not have the
former, but recognizes the latter.

>And we have silly plural stuff, and some silly subject/verb
>agreement stuff.

There's plenty of little strange bits hidden in the corners of
English.  Ever notice that when "I" is the subject, you use the
plural verb form rather than the singular?

There is also a little bit of objective/subjective pronoun
stuff left over from our Germanic roots. And the lack of a
sex-neutral third person singular pronoun is annoying. People
who grew up with formal vs. informal versions of "you" think it
odd that we only have the one version.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Didn't I buy a 1951
                                  at               Packard from you last March