OT: What is BASIC? (was Re: What is Python?)

Grant Edwards nobody at nowhere.nohow
Thu Sep 21 09:09:03 EDT 2000

In article <8qcvr4$41v$1 at panix2.panix.com>, Aahz Maruch wrote:

>That "feature" was essentially borrowed directly from FORTRAN.  IIRC,
>FORTRAN variables starting with I-N defaulted to ints.  Now you know why
>the canonical loop variables are "i" and "j".

I think it was the other way around.  FORTRAN implimented [i-n] as ints (and
users used them as loop variables) because in the notation used in math and
science they were commonly used as indexes/subscripts.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I was making donuts
                                  at               and now I'm on a bus!