2 small problems building Python 2.0 on Linux

Daniel Reuter reuter at Uni-Hohenheim.DE
Mon Apr 23 05:37:48 EDT 2001

Hello there,

Some time ago I compiled python 2.0 from source on a Debian GNU/Linux box.
Everything went fine, except for a problem with tkinter:

>>> import Tkinter
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.0/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 35 in ?
    import _tkinter # if this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.0/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so: undefined symbol:
 TIFFOpen

I have libtk8.0.so.1 and the corresponding static libraries and
headers installed.
I compiled it from the sources for tkstep8.0.4-2 and tk alone worked
fine. As tkstep is said to be a drop-in replacement for tk with the
nextstep look'n'feel, I wouldn't expect this to be a problem, however
perhaps it is. Does someone know more about this?
libtiff is libtiff.so.3.5.4, however, as tk alone worked, I am not sure,
if this can be the problem.

Just for information, this is from my Setup.in file in the modules
directory in the python2.0 source tree (pretty standard, I think):

_tkinter _tkinter.c tkappinit.c -DWITH_APPINIT\
	-I/usr/local/include\
	-I/usr/X11R6/include\
	-L/usr/local/lib\
	-ltk8.0 -ltcl8.0\
	-L/usr/X11R6/lib\
	-lX11

And another question: libpython2.0 compiled as static library,
and as far as I have seen in the makefiles, there is no
rule to build it shared on Linux. Why? and is there a simple way to do it
(e.g. a makefile patch) or do I have to do it by hand?

Regards,
Daniel