Tkinter and wxPython

Vadim Zeitlin zeitlin at seth.lpthe.jussieu.fr
Fri Apr 20 15:08:39 EDT 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 21:32:35 -0400, D-Man <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 12:23:58AM +0000, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>| On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:36:53 -0400, D-Man <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote:
>| >Personally I like GTK+ the best, and it does work on *nix and Windows.
>|
>|  Sorry to sound exhausted, but could people please understand one day that
>| wxPython *is* GTK+ under Unix?? Even Cameron Laird wrote in his small
>
>No need to apologize Vadim.  I know that wx(Python|Windows) is has GTK
>as the underlying implementation on Unix systems

 I know that you know :-) but I think that reading the above may confuse
people who don't.

>I think the cause is providing the wxWindows API (philosophy on
>layout) on top of the GTK+ framework.

 I think the cause is that some controls (most notable tree and status bar)
are not implemented using the GTK widgets. This could be easily changed if
someone really wanted it bad enough though.

> Maybe Boa Constructor can fill the first part of that gap?

 Not at all impossible from what I know about it. There is wxWorkshop too, of
course.

> Also I think I've heard some talk in the wx community
>about an XML description thing that seems to resemble libglade.  It
>will be a big advance/improvement in the wx system.

 The XML resources already work, the problem is packaging/makefiles. I don't
know if they're already supportedb y wxPython but they surely will be in
(relatively) near future.

 Regards,
VZ
--
GCS/GM d? H+ s++:-- p2 au--- a- w+ v C+++ UBLS+++ P- L++ N++ E--- W++++ M? V--
-po+ R++ G`` !tv b+++ D--- e++++ u++ h--- f+ r++ n- y?