Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

Grant Griffin not.this at seebelow.org
Fri Apr 6 12:25:42 EDT 2001

In article <noez6.5700$4N4.1195061 at newsc.telia.net>, "Fredrik says...

>John J. Lee wrote:
>> > Yes, but are they doing it in "real time"?
>>
>> You make it sound as if that were the only kind of programming worth
>> doing! ;-)

Naw, I was just drawing a distinction...

>I've used Python in really serious real time systems --

Just curious: were they also "embedded"?  The reason I ask is that embedded
systems typically have just the bare minimum of resources--things like memory,
processor throughput, peripherals, etc.  (That helps make 'em cheap enough, for
example, to make burger toys talk.)  My overall point here (if any <wink>) is
that one generally can't afford to use interpreted languages like Python in
resource-critical situations.

In any event, I can see how our drastically our "real time" applications differ:

>they get huge amounts of new data

mine typically get just one or two words of data...

>every 15 minutes or so,

every 15 microseconds or so,

>and must get
>rid of them before the next batch arrives...

and don't necessarily have to get rid of them before the next batch arrive, but
have to provide enough buffering and average throughput so that data does not
get "dropped" in the worst case of processor loading.

>(and if they're not finished by 6 pm, *everyone* will notice ;-)

and if the software doesn't succeed at that, maybe nobody will notice.  Or maybe
the plane will crash (in which case *somebody* will likely notice. <wink>)

that-said,-i'm-glad-to-see-interpreted-languages-getting
  -their-fifteen-minutes-of-real-time-fame-<wink>-ly y'rs

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation            http://www.iowegian.com