OT - Closing Off An Open-Source Product

Dennis E. Hamilton orcmid at email.com
Wed Apr 11 01:20:23 EDT 2001

Good point, Chris.

This comes up in discussion of public-domain code and also open-source
licenses that allow closed-source derivatives.  You are absolutely correct.

1.	There is no way, under copyright law in the United States, that someone
making a closed-source version of a public-domain or open-source software is
able to interfere with the public-domain or open-source original or any
existing copyright (or public-domain status) on the material.

1.1 As far as I can tell, there is a misunderstanding of what a copyright
claim applies to.

1.2 When I put a copyright claim on a literary work (i.e., software), it
applies to that portion of the work that is (1) my original expression and
(2) copyrightable subject matter.  It does not apply to anything in the work
that is not that.  In addition, if a portion of the work is subject to the
copyright of another, I am in violation of that copyright unless I obtain a
license from the original copyright holder that permits any of the actions
that are the exclusive right of that copyright holder.  (The U.S. Copyright
Office and web site provides lots of information on what copyrightable
subject-matter is and how this all works.  There description is pretty
understandable.)

1.3 In particular, if I take a public domain work, and the only change I
make to it is to add my copyright notice, I have obtained a copyright on
absolutely nothing.  And if I charge someone with infringement, one thing
they can do is simply produce the public-domain work and demonstrate that it
pre-existed the earliest demonstrable distribution of my "version."
Similarly, if I make  a MIDI arrangement of a popular song and publish it as
my work, there is certainly an original component contributed by me, and I
am also definitely in violation of the copyright on the elements of the
original song which I used without permission.  (There are special rules for
music and phonorecordings, but this aspect is consistent with the copyright
on literary works.)

1.4 (Because copyrights are not patents, there are even more interesting
cases.  -- If I demonstrate that I completely independently created a work,
having no knowledge of your work that it resembles, that is not an
infringement either.  And the ideas in a copyrighted expression are not
themselves subject to the copyright.)

2.	It has been pointed out to me that there is a way that an open source
*developer* might become "tainted."  If someone makes an allowable or
licensed derivative that has improvements to the original work, and does not
elect to use the original license, the developer needs to be extremely
careful about learning about those and about incorporating any of them back
into the original open-source version.

It seems to me you are entirely correct.  There is no way to pre-empt the
public-domain or open-source status of a work of software by wrapping the
covered work in copyright notices and proprietary notices.

-- Dennis