Create/Edit Win32 Shortcuts?

Don Tuttle tuttledon at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 19 17:19:52 EDT 2001

[Don Tuttle]

> > I can't believe that Python doesn't have the ability to create/edit
Win32
> > shortcuts (.lnk files). But after an hour of searching the archives and
my
> > books I can't find anything at all.  Would someone point me in the right
> > direction?

[Gerhard Häring]

> http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/4475/fid/538 if you
> can use the Python COM support
>
> If you are not able to use Python COM (as might be the case in a
> installer written in Python itself), I can send you some code I have
> written half a year ago. It's an extension module to create shortcuts,
> it's working but unfinished.

Sorry for the slow reply.  I'd love to see you code!  Even better, I'd love
to see you polish it and then submit it for inclusion in the core Windows
distribution.  Shortcuts are so ubiquitous in Windows that a simple way to
work with them really should be a part of the OS module.  I suspect the lack
of demand for this feature is simply the respective lack of NT admins
currently using Python.  I'm also expecting this to change dramatically over
the next few years.  (I was doing remote admin work via telnet when I posted
my question.)

FYI: Your link lead to the example "link.py".  I found Mark has an updated
version of it in the 2.0 distribution.

Thanks,
Don