Driving word processors other than MS

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 8 15:47:20 EDT 2001

"Brett Haydon" <bbhaydon at bigpond . com> wrote in message
news:Pz_z6.11825$45.67392 at newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I have YATS (Yet Another Templating System) which I use to build
> plain text and MS Word reports (and html) and then convert to PDF
> to view on a web site.
>
> I'm seeing lots of action on open source word processors but does
> anyone know of one scriptable from Python as a replacement for
> MS word (so I can run it on Linux).
>
> I see that staroffice has a C++ api. Perhaps some talented person has
> written a wrapper.

I've thought about it, but done nothing about it, yet -- maybe I
will once I get my new machine, which will be a Linux box.  However,
I noticed StarOffice also has a _Java_ api -- I suspect that
using Jython to drive *that* might be simpler than writing a
wrapper to allow using CPython, even with Boost... since any Java
api IS already its own 'wrapper' for Jython's purposes...!-)

Alex