ActiveState going the wrong way

Steve Lamb grey at despair.rpglink.com
Tue Apr 10 16:43:04 EDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:12:44 GMT, costas at meezon.com <costas at meezon.com> wrote:
>No dream here. There is an old adage that applies to IDE's just as
>good as to  people.

>"Familiar of many, master of none"

    Not that it means anything to the majority of IT consumers.  Compare the
travisty called Outlook versus components that do the same thing.  Ever know
that ICQ has a PIM in it?

    In a great many cases, yes, specialization is a good thing.  I completely
agree with it.  However, when it comes to things which are highly related to
one another, IDE and languages, for example, I do not believe that
specialization on one language over another would offer benefits far in excess
of the ability to be able to work on a project which includes elements of
different programming languages (C/C++ with embedded Python anyone?) without
having to fire up several different tools to do so.

    Oddly enough this is called "integration" and is where the I, or
Integrated, from IDE comes from.  :P