excluding unit test code

Steven Haryanto steven at haryan.to
Tue Apr 3 09:56:51 EDT 2001

At 4/3/2001 06:54 AM, you wrote:
 > What do you mean by "exclude"?

The same way -OO excludes doc-string from the source
code, i.e.: it is optimized away by the compiler,
and never gets into the object code/loaded into
memory/executed.

 > If this were C,
 > I'd say that you could just use "#if 0" around the
 > test blocks for when you ship production code.
 > The quick way is to convert:
 >
 > some_test_code()
 >
 > into
 >
 > if None:
 >   some_test_code()
 >
 > if that's OK with you.  That way it will never be
 > executed.  How else you would do it depends on your
 > definition of "excluded".  You could hide it in
 > another module, or just cut it out altogether.

After being advised by Steve Purcell, I think I will go
with something like 'if __DEBUG__' instead of 'if 0' or
'#if DEBUG' (running the Python source through cpp
first), so clients _can_ execute the test code.

Thanks,
Steve