Classes, OOP, Tkinter general comments and detailed questions...

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Thu Apr 5 20:44:44 EDT 2001

Ron Stephens wrote:

> I love Python. But I am having trouble getting to understand classes
> well enough to use them. This is especially a problem because I want to
> use Tkinter. I programmed a little in assembler, Basic, PL/1, and
> Fortran in college (math and physics majors). Procedural programming
> seems logical to me. Programs must follow the logic, and programs thus
> can do only one thing. I am appealing for help from the group, seeking
> ideas to help me find a way to understand the use of Python classes.

I'm not sure if your problem is *really* with OO programming. Have you
ever created a GUI in a non-OO language? The basic difference between
ordinary programming and GUI programming is that in GUIs, things happen
when the use decides they happen and your program has to be organized so
it is ready for whatever happens. In a procedural program you lay out
the order of things from the start.

Even if you program a GUI in (let's say) C or FORTRAN, you need to get
used to event-driven programming. That's different from OO. You can
follow the logic in an OO program from top to bottom just as you do a
procedural program. You just need to remember that when you call
foo.bar, the actual "bar" you call will depend on the "foo" you are
dealing with.

--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.