Python-2.1(Windows) Optional supproject build problems

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.nospamnet
Sun Apr 22 03:07:04 EDT 2001

All the projects say that needed 3rd party source headers are in
..\..\<3rdPartySource>. For example, the include path for expat/xmlparse
is "..\..\expat\xmlparse". However, the pcbuild/readme.txt files says to
put them in as a sibling of PCbuild's parent directory - in the example
given, "dist".

Alas, the grandparent (..\..) of PcBuild is "\" since I think most people
are going to install to the root...

>From the PCbuild/readme.txt file:
"The following subprojects will generally NOT build out of the box.  They
wrap code Python doesn't control, and you'll need to download the base
packages first and unpack them into siblings of PCbuilds's parent
directory; for example, if your PCbuild is  .......\dist\src\PCbuild\,
unpack into new subdirectories of dist\."

As you can see from reading this, the parent directory of PCbuild is src,
not dist.

Actually, when I read the readme.txt file, initially I was under the
impresion that there should be a dist directory under Python-2.1. Didn't
make a whole lot of sense to me at the time, but one never knows ;-)

My sugggestion would be to have a directory under Python-2.1 called
"packages" which would be the parent directory of all 3rd party sources
needed to compile the "optional" packages, and to fix the VC project
files appropriately.

Dave LeBlanc