OT - Closing Off An Open-Source Product

Chris Watson chris at voodooland.net
Thu Apr 12 16:55:08 EDT 2001

> > Mind showing us your license?  Sounds interesting.
>
> One method would be to simply add the advertising style clause back in
> to a BSD license.  I'm not for that but it's the simplest way I can
> think of.

Also what you can do is the following, which is about as legal as the GPL
if it's ever challenged so you would have to run it by an attorney:

#  3. The license on this code can not be changed or altered in any way.
#     No additional terms, conditions, or restrictions may be placed on
#     this code.

That is taken out of context. The full license looks as such:

# Copyright 2001 Chris Watson (scanner at jurai.net).  All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
# met:
#
#  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#  3. The license on this code can not be changed or altered in any way.
#     No additional terms, conditions, or restrictions may be placed on
#     this code.

This pretty much ensures the code can be used in source form OR binary
form, and that you CANNOT add any additional items, conditions, terms,
restrictions, etc.. By doing so you would violate my license. This
guarantees people cant corrupt my code with the GPL. Remove clause 3 and
they can. Because clause 1 and 2 do *not* prohibit the code from being
GPL'ed. 3 Should stop it dead. Now as a negative side effect, companies
are not allowed to add their own restrictions to it either :-/
So you could ammend clause 3 with:

#     I am completely happy to allow this code to be licensed in
#     other ways for a commercial entity, just mail me at the above
#     address.

So that they can get youre permission to create their own whatever license
of it. Is this ideal for a company probably not. But a slight
inconvenience for a company to simply ask me if they can remove clause 3
for their code or modify said license is WAY better IMO then the Red FSF
and GPL people being *allowed* to corrupt my code.

- -Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner at jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner at deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"
irc.openprojects.net #FreeBSD -Join the revolution!
ICQ: 20016186