PEP: Use site-packages on all platforms

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 05:29:44 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.985955621.21096.python-list at python.org>, Moore, Paul
<Paul.Moore at uk.origin-it.com> writes
If we're going to standardize locations I think it would be better for
win32 platforms to use a single dlls directory either the current DLLs
or lib/site-packages.

That way the commonly used dlls (like libz.dll) could be placed in one
standard location and then _imaging.pyd, zlib.pyd etc could refer to
them. I'm not sure that this would work so well if there were two
standard locations say DLLs for python only and lib/site-packages for
everything else.

Others have argued elsewhere that python20.dll needs to be in a common
system wide location (ie winnt\system32 for similar reasons).
--
Robin Becker