"Fastest growing programming language"

Simon Brunning SBrunning at trisystems.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 04:48:20 EDT 2001

> From:	bowman [SMTP:bowman at montana.com]
> The assertion for COBOL is that it already is the most widely used
> language.
> With suitable conditionals, it could be said RPG is the most used
> scripting
> language. I actually saw a page today expounding the virtues of RPG for
> producing AS400 web pages. And here I though that beast (RPG, not AS400)
> died in 1978 .

RPG is not dead. It just *smells* like it's been dead for a while. After
catching up on c.l.py, I'll have to go back to debugging RPGIII programs.
Well, we all have to earn a living...

BTW, RPG is fairly low level (in term of data structures, if not RDBMS
access), and compiled rather than interpreted. I know that 'scripting
language' is a fairly nebulous term, but I don't think that it will stretch
to cover RPG.

OK, time to find out where all those GOTOs go...

Trying-to-drag-his-company-kicking-and-screaming-into-the-eighties-ly yrs,
Simon Brunning.