[Python-Dev] Class Methods

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Fri Apr 20 11:24:29 EDT 2001

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>   TH> There are some signs :-) that Python's object model is going to
>   TH> be revised even _before_ Python 3000.
>
>   TH> Is someone willing to join me fighting for class methods (I mean
>   TH> 'real' class-methods in the Smalltalk style here, _not_ static
>   TH> methods like in Java or C++).
>
> The idea sounds good in the abstract.  Class are objects and objects
> ought to have methods that implement their behavior.  How does that
> very vague idea turn into something real?  No clue.  You start
> fighting and let's see where it goes :-).

Here's something to start the fight ;-) ...

1) What would you do with class methods that you cannot do with
   e.g. globals and functions ?

2) How would you determine which methods are class-only methods and
   which are one usable by instances ?

3) If you don't like globals (see 1), wouldn't it be possible to
   store the state you want to manipulate using class methods
   in some other context object ?

My impression is that class methods are not really needed and
would only make optimizing Python harder... but that's maybe just
me ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg