bzip2 extension exist for python?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Apr 3 08:59:58 EDT 2001

"Jan Dries" <jdries at mail.com> wrote in message
> Moshe Zadka wrote:
> > > Does Python have a bzip2 extension?  I'm looking for something that
> > > resembles the functionality of the gzip module.
> >
> > You shouldn't worry about idiotic things like bzip2, when superior
> > technologies like lzip (http://lzip.sourceforge.net). I am now working
> > on a reimplementation of lzip in Python, since I feel the current lzip
> > code base is too messy to use. Expect updates!
>
> This is truly fantastic, unlike anything I've ever seen before.
> Since you are reimplementing it in Python, just some thoughts: I did a
> quick analysis of the Lessis-Moore algorithm, and it has occured to me
> that if one were to put an md5-filter in front, filtering all the data
> prior to feeding it into the LM-algorightm, it could achieve even
> greater compression. And of course, for the unzip one could simply use
> reverse md5.

I did a little work to get a rough implementation in Python, and it appears
you are right. The result is a file compression algorithm which allows you
to add free space to your filestore by creating new files. This has led me
to speculate that most operating systems could really use negative
filesizes.

Is your disk getting a little full? Just md5lzip your largest files and you
create free space on your disk!

I'd like to thank Moshe Zadka for making his original code available to
facilitate these experiments.

regards
 Steve