[ANNOUNCE] Umbra role-playing game 0.2 pre-alpha

Kalle Svensson kalle at gnupung.net
Fri Apr 20 14:45:46 EDT 2001

<IANAL>

Sez Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes [regarding the GPL]:
>   And of course, everyone has the right to put their own code under
> whatever license he likes...  But using a virus license like his that
> takes away other peoples' rights to their own software, just by being
> mixed with his, is just vile.

I think you've got the "virus" thing all wrong.  It doesn't force you to use
the GPL for your programs unless they are derivative works of a program
licensed under the GPL.

>   Or even better, forget about him.  He's just some loser who can't even
> get a real job, and wrote a slow, bloated editor many years ago.  Some
> people like it, I'm told; tastes vary, so that's fair enough.  But
> NOBODY deserves any attention unless they produce new stuff, and then
> only in proportion to how good that stuff is.

I think you underestimate the contributions of RMS.  He didn't just write
emacs, you know...

>   What has he done for us (instead of to us) *lately*?  Nothing.  He's a
> waste of meat.

What have *you* done for us (lately or ever)?  My guess is that you're a
waste of meat too, by that reasoning.

>   Compare, for instance, to Linus or Guido.  They write code.  Any fame
> they get is justified, because they've written *GOOD* code.  Eric S.
> Raymond is a borderline case; he does write code, sometimes very useful
> code (and sometimes stuff like C-Intercal...).  But he's also a
> shameless exhibitionist, and needs about a 99% fame reduction.

May I ask what makes you able to judge the quality of the works of RMS,
Linus, Guido and ESR, especially considering that they write very different
kinds of software.  emacs is not linux is not python is not fetchmail.

> >   For a programmer to
> >'own his/her own software' means, in practical terms, to be able to release
> >it under exactly the license terms he/she wants, and have those terms
> >respected/enforced.  That is what he and collaborators have done with the
> >GPL license and what you have done with yours.
>
>   Until someone infects some non-GPL code with the GPL.  Then it's been
> stolen.

See above.

Peace,
  Kalle