Pep 245

Michel Pelletier michel at digicool.com
Thu Apr 5 15:04:27 EDT 2001

> I guess I should just give up my fight against PEP 245...  It is clear
> to me that either I am the only one who things that interfaces, at
> least in the proposed form, are next to useless in Python,

probably not the only one.

>  or those
> who agree with me do not read the news group, or simply don't care
> enough to reply.

These behaviors of other people whom you've never met are "clear" to
you?  But this is beside the point, it's seems to me you're just
venting, I'm not sure why.  PEP 245 is just a proposal.  Guido will
accept it or reject based on its merits and comments from the
community.  Rest assured, I will cite your comments in the PEP when I
post a new revision.

> It is also obvious to me that there is serious
> thrust for interface adoption coming from "Digital Creations"...  (Do
> new Guido's employers have a lot of say in the situation? I can
> speculate that they do... but then again I don't know for sure.)

<yawn> Conspiracy theories this early in the morning?  If you read PEP
245 you'll see that this idea has been in the works for over two
years.  Long before PL came to work for us.  There was quite a bit of
discussion in the types-sig archive from years back by Jim, Tim,
PaulP, Guido, and many others.  PEP 245 is not just some idea that I
came up with, I didn't come up with it at all!  I'm just championing
it.

As for DC having Python influence, well of course, but not the reasons
that you speculate.  The reason is we're probably the biggest large
scale Python production system in existence.  It's not because we pay
Guido's salary.  And it's certainly not because I'm "influencing"
Guido, at IPC 9, he didn't even recognize me or remember my name.

(Not at all his fault, of course, he's cannot be expected to remember
the names of the thousands of people who use python even though he may
want to, and he and I had only very briefly met once before as
co-workers, and we have *never* worked together on any projects,
interfaces or otherwise.)

> One thing still bothers me -- Perl people will have a real reason to
> laugh.  Indeed, interfaces in a loosely typed language that supports
> introspection -- that's a real joke!

Please, is FUD how you're going to argue against this?

-Michel