Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

Quinn Dunkan quinn at retch.ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Apr 8 19:12:48 EDT 2001

On 06 Apr 2001 19:02:02 GMT, Hernan M. Foffani <hernan.foffani at iname.com> wrote:
>Grant Griffin <not.this at seebelow.org> wrote:

>> Naw, I was just drawing a distinction...
>>
>> >I've used Python in really serious real time systems --
>>
>> Just curious: were they also "embedded"?  The reason I ask is that
>> embedded systems typically have just the bare minimum of
>> resources--things like memory, processor throughput, peripherals, etc.
> .
> .
> .
>The "real time" capability of a language doesn't relate to its performance,
>which is always relative, but on its time-determistic properties. heh,
>that's the theory!

Yeah, when I see "serious real time" I translate into "hard real time".  I
gather the problem with high level languages and garbage collection in
particular is that you need a guarantee that, say, a gc run will take a
deterministic amount of time.

I think some of these situations actually have (relatively) decent amounts of
memory, but still can't really use gc because of the determinism thing.  I've
heard occaisional references to "real time gc", but not much more info.  It
seems to be a hard problem.

So of course, I'd be interested in links to real time gc, or explanations as
to why I'm wrong :)