[ANNOUNCE] Umbra role-playing game 0.2 pre-alpha

Steve Holden sholden at cox.rr.com
Mon Apr 23 13:34:19 EDT 2001

"Courageous" <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote in message
news:otm8et82me41i8schik5fgk1pmjv4t54j1 at 4ax.com...

> >There are theoretical rights and there there is practical enforcement.
The
> >latter takes a big bag of money.  If you let the cat out of the bag and
give
> >away source code to zillions of people, you are creating zillions of
> >opportunities for somebody to rip you off.
>
> I've seen it happen. A defense contractor, who shall remain nameless,
> took GDMS (gnu database management system), modified it, incorporated
> it wholesale in their product, and kept their source code to themselves.
> I had a major shit-fit with the government program manager AND Mr.
Stallman.
> It really didn't win me any popularity points.
>
> People can be real assholes.

What you seem to be saying is that a well-documented violation of the GPL by
a contractor to the US government was allowed to proceed? Or were they
eventually persuaded to release the source of their derived work, thereby
keeping them in compliance with the GPL? Possibly by the prospect of having
Stallman camp outside their premises with banners proclaiming their
perfidy...

I can't imagine RMS not having made a MAJOR stink about such a situation.

regards
 Steve