ANN: mxNumber -- Experimental Number Types, Version 0.2.0

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Mon Apr 30 14:31:55 EDT 2001

Brian Kelley wrote:

> I have taken the opportunity to expose a couple of Integer methods
>
> Integer.popcount() - number of bits set
> Integer.setbit(bit) - set the bit indicated by bit
> Integer.clrbit(bit) - set the bit indicated by bit
>
> These are very useful for Aritificial Intelligence/feature vector algorithms.  Is
> there any other desire to see these types of functions exposed?  I would be happy to
> send a patch although it's only 3 minutes of work to do...

I will most probably try to expose all of the APIs available in
GMP as methods. For now, I'm focussing on getting the interactions
between the different types and the Python native number types
in sync.

> The other question I have is about pickling:  I noticed that the pickled structures
> use a string to determine the "long" representation.  This is somewhat wasteful for
> storage considerations.  Is there any chance for a compressed version of the long
> representation?  I would be more than happy to look into this, I just don't know if
> it is feasible.

One of the next releases will expose some kind of number formatting
method which will then also be used in pickling Integers (using
base-32 numbers).

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg

PS: If you want me to respond to c.l.p posts, please put my
email on CC: -- I don't have the time (anymore) to read c.l.p
on a regular basis. Thanks.