Perl & Python: Parrot

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Tue Apr 17 10:13:10 EDT 2001

In article <3adc48d5$0$36584$e2e8da3 at nntp.cts.com>,
Robert Johnson <rjohnson at exotic-eo.com> wrote:

>Newbie Question: What does Perl offer that Python cannot already do?

Nothing.  Then again, the same is technically true of C++.  Speaking
less abstractly, Perl simply offers a different style of programming,
one that is English-like in its complexity and number of idioms and lack
of a generalizable rulebase.  It also uses lots of punctuation in a
meaningful manner.  Perl got started as a combined replacement for
simple C programs and complex awk/sed/shell scripts.  It was intended to
be easy to learn for people who already knew those programming systems,
and to a certain extent it succeeds.

But because of its embrace-and-extend philosophy of language design
(instead of pushing much of its feature set into modules), it has needed
to endure countless contortions in order to add each new feature.

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"If we had some ham, we could have ham & eggs, if we had some eggs." --RH