Can only import select as root?

Lester I. McCann pleasepostreply at acm.org
Fri Apr 20 12:44:29 EDT 2001

> |> $ ls -l /usr/lib/python-2.1/Lib/select.py*
> |
> | There is no such file in the Python lib directory on my system.  (I ran
> | 'find' from the root of the directory tree to verify that it doesn't
> | exist anywhere.)  As I can access it when running as root, I'm assuming
> | that it's built-in somehow.  I agree that it seems like a permission
> | problem, but...
>
> ... but that isn't the name of the file.  It used to be a built-in, and
> could theoretically still be built in, but normally in 2.1 it would
> be more like $prefix/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/select.so (along with
> a whole bunch of other modules.)
>
>         Donn Cave, donn at oz.net

We have a winner!  Thanks very much for the pointer, Donn.  That
directory was, in fact, inaccessible to mere mortals.  It was also a day
older than everything else in there, implying that the later install
didn't replace it, for whatever reason.  I chose to remove the old
installation and reinstall from scratch, and the permissions on the new
installation were just fine, and everything seems to be working fine,
too.

(Relearned) Moral of the Story:  Beware installing over a previous
installation.

--lester