HELP! Installing BeOPEN Python 2.0 on Red Hat 7.0

Twan van der Schoot twanvds at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 2 10:28:43 EDT 2001

Hi all,

in my "Linux novice innocense"  I attempted to install the 'most' recent
available Python 2.0 update for Red Hat 6.1 on a Red Hat 7.0 system in vain
(yes, I do have root permissions).

rpm tells me that the installation (BeOpen-Python-2.0-1.i386.rpm from
http://www.python.org/
) depends on 'libncurses.so.4' and 'libreadline.so.3' which, rpm claims, are
missing.
At the Red Hat site I was able to find something for libncurses.so.4
(ncurses4 5.0-2), but nothing for libreadline.so.3

I really want to run Python 2.0 on that Red Hat 7.0 system, but how can I do
that without venturing into downloading and compiling everything locally
(please remember, I'm just a poor Linux novice ;)

And I also found out that python 1.5.2  is installed on the system, can I
replace it with rpm ?
Remove it with rpm?

The rpm man-pages are a little bit cryptic, I must admit

any help is welcome,

TIA

br

Twan van der Schoot