Python & TKInter applets

Robert Johnson rjohnson at exotic-eo.com
Wed Apr 11 10:20:42 EDT 2001

I am a Python newbie and I am wondering if Python and TKInter will allow me
to write web applications similar to what I can do with ActiveX.
Apparently, ActiveX is not  Netscape-compatible, or so I'm told (what a
surprise!).  I am writing an application that will plot an optical thin film
design.  It will contain some boxes with entry parameters and will plot a
graph of the reflectance, transmission, tau, or rho for a particular thin
film design over a range of wavelengths (I work for a laser optical
manufacturer that specializes in thin film coatings).

Another option (WAG)?
I designed the original program with Borland C++ Builder and it works great
as an ActiveX program on the web page (it actually looks like a Windows
program running on the web page).  Can I do something with Python that will
allow a Netscape browser to view the ActiveX applet (effectively making the
ActiveX component cross-platform)?   I know Python is supposed to be capable
of calling COM objects, though I have not looked into it or if this means I
can run the program in Netscape.

Book recommendation:
Has anyone read the book "Python and TKInter Programming" by John E.
Grayson?  What did you think of the book?  Did it help?

Thanks,
Robert Johnson