ActiveState going the wrong way

Daniel Berlin dan at cgsoftware.com
Wed Apr 11 01:44:08 EDT 2001

Maniac <Maniac at alltel.net> writes:

> I strongly disagree lack of autocompletion will in the short run (in your
> words lower productivity)  but will also increase the skill of the
> programmer by forcing you to look up functions and other such stuff that
> you accidently store in your brain and you are EGAD "forced" to learn
> something that the next time you're coding you happen to remember the
> function.  The process of "learning" can't be forgotten

Whoops, sorry to blow your entire argument out of the water, but this
entire paragraph is pure bullshit.
Please take a course in brain and cognitive sciences, dealing with
human memory.
For instance, current belief is that the rate of forgetting is a
function of how well the information is learned, not how often you see
it.
So if you just *look up* the function, for half a second, to see which
one does what you want,  you aren't going to rememember it any better or worse.
<snip>

> > -Dave
> >

> --
> Maniac at alltel.net 40° 37' 9" N, 96° 57' 24" W
>  A single tasking guy in multi tasking world
>
> --

I like to fill my tub up with water, then turn the shower on and
act like I'm in a submarine that's been hit.