Windows madness

David Allen mda at idatar.com
Tue Apr 3 17:15:26 EDT 2001

I'm trying to find the cleanest way to get around some
windows silliness.  Advice is appreciated.

I'm writing an application under UNIX using Tkinter
that I want to be portable to Windows.  As fate would
have it,  I have two files in the project with the
same name that differ by case.  Example:

TOOL.py  # Main module for the TOOL
tool.py  # Small script which just creates objects
         # the right way, starts the prog, etc.

As you might guess, this causes problems when they're
in the same directory.  Furthermore, I can't even
combine both of them into TOOL.py because when I
unzip files on windows machines, it turns TOOL.py
into "tool.py" and then my "import TOOL" fails
since there's no file called "TOOL.py"

Is windows seriously this obtuse that short of
separating them by directory, I'm forced to merge
them into tool.py? (I.e. I don't even have the option
of using an all-uppercase filename)

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/