Does Python seem appropriate for me?

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Sat Apr 21 18:00:44 EDT 2001

"Rick Olson" <r_olson at acusd.edu> wrote in message
news:NJlE6.8$T3.69 at cronkite...
> Hi--
>
> I'm doing some research developing some algorithms for solving scheduling
> problems.

***

> From what I've picked up in other ngs it sounds like Python with Tkinter
may
> be the answer.  It sounds like I can write a GUI interface that can
extract
> the information from the screen.  This info can be the command line
prompts
> to a call execute the program.
> Q1> Can I (relatively easily) also use the output from the program to
change
> display?  This would allow an interactive test bed.

Tkinter is very dynamic and interfaces can be re-written while running.

> Q2> Does it seem like Python+Tkinter is an appropriate approach?  I don't
> want to need to become highly skilled in either to do the job.  If I can
> piece the interface together in a week or two I'd be content.

you can probably pick up python is an hour or two if you know c++.  tkinter
... add another hour maybe for simple stuff.

> Q3> Assuming Python makes sense, what books would you recommend.  Again, I
> don't need to acquire deep understanding.  I like the "learn by stealing
> examples" approach, but have been burned too many times by buggy examples.
> Should I pick up a Tk/Tcl book or two, also?

this i asked all the time.  I like "Learning Python", but most of the books
are good.  John Grayson wrote a Python/Tkinter book (manning) that should
get you through (it is almost totally be example).

> Q5> I'm inclined to go with the Red Hat Distribution.  Is there any reason
> shouldn't?  Do I need a Linux book or are the docs on the Red Hat and
Linux
> pages adequate?

For my money the Linux/Unix learning curve is a lot steeper than the python
one.  That said, i think that redhat installs python by default making life
that much simpler.  i have also found that FreeBSD makes installing software
(and itself for that matter) pretty easy.

doug