PythonWin 2 UNIX

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Thu Apr 5 11:55:16 EDT 2001

"Alan Gauld" <alan.gauld at bt.com> wrote in message
news:3ACC910D.81362EF8 at bt.com...
> dsavitsk wrote:
> > I wrote some code w/ PythonWin (ActivePython 2.0) and when
> > I tried to run it on FreeBSD (Python 1.5.2 / Idle .5)
> > I got syntax errors due to the '\r' on the end of every line.
> > Is there a way to stop this behavior from PyWin?
>
> Its not really Pywins fault its a difference between Unix
> and windoze. Most Unix boxes that I've used have had a pair
> of commands:
>
> dos2unix
> unix2dos
>
> that do the necessary conversions.
>
> Alan g.

but the point is that this seems wrong.  Python is billed as being "cross
platform", not "cross platform once you run a utility or boot up PFE and
convert the file."  In general I really like PythonWin so I hate to say
anything negative about it, but if PFE can get by w/o line endings on win32,
why can't PyWin?  Maybe this will show my ignorance, but if the same
scintilla source can build on both windows and unix, why can't it be
modified to be like PFE and not need line endings?

doug