Graduate thesis on Python-related subject

Dinu Gherman dinu at reportlab.com
Thu Apr 12 08:25:50 EDT 2001

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:13:33 +0300, Jarno J Virtanen
<jajvirta at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:

>I'm planning to do my graduate thesis (pro gradu) for MsC on (yet
>unconfirmed and still vague) subject tightly related to Python.  In
>short, the main goal is to test hypothesis that a program (or some other
>piece of code) written in a very high level language or scripting
>language (specifically Python in my study) is 3-10 times shorter
>measured in lines of code than a program written in traditional system
>programming language (eg.  C/C++/Java, don't know yet).  I intend to
>concentrate on program length and analyse it not only by the number of
>lines but rather to specify what _is_ a line of code and so forth
>(remember, this is still just an idea :-).  Important part of the
>forthcoming research would be to study measuring overall (why, what,
>how) and to speculate on scripting languages in general.  I know that
>the main subject (measuring Python programs) would be kind of "stating
>the obvious" and I know the work done by Lutz Prechelt ("An Empirical
>Comparison of C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, Rexx, and Tcl for a
>Search/String-Processing Program") which covers also the program length,
>but my idea (besides the fact that my study would be an undergraduate
>research, so no new scientific results is required) is that hopefully
>this kind of work could be ("sort of") referenced and "the obvious"
>would be somewhere stated explicitely.  Also my intention would be to
>study (possible) special features of Python.  Now (after the short
>introduction :-), my question would be:
>
>Is there "official" (or other) interest in such study?

Sure! Have a look at Lutz Prechelt's  interesting publication con-
trasting differences and experience of/with several languages used
to implement a solution to the same problem under equal conditions
(in which Python was one of the examined languages):

  http://wwwipd.ira.uka.de/~prechelt/Biblio/jccpprt_computer2000.pdf

Good luck,

Dinu

--