Threading question

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Apr 12 14:43:40 EDT 2001

"Jared Lee Peterson" <jared at tgflinux.com> wrote in message
[ ... ]
This is how I am spawning
> the thread ...
>
> tmp = Thread(target=os.system(other_script.py))

Note, also, that this statement requires the os.system() command to complete
before the Thread creation completes.  The target should be a function
which, *when executed*, invokes os.system() on your script (whose name, I
assume, should have been a string constant).

> Ideally I want to be able to loop over a list of scripts and spawn
> threads for each one and monitor their exectuion.  I have tried to look
> online for docs on python threading and there are none so if someone
> could help me out here that would be great.  It is probably obvious just
> by my email that I am not the threading master for sure.  Thanks a lot

For a single script, you appear to need something like

def do_my_script():
    return os.system("other_script.py")

tmp = Thread(target=do_my_script)
tmp.start()

For multiple scripts, read the documentation about the Thread object and
argument passing.

The threading module is documented at

    http://www.python.org/doc/1.5.2/lib/module-threading.html

but you should have local copies as a part of your installation. Look in

    /usr/doc/python-docs-1.5.2/

You will probably also appreciate Aahz' work at

    http://starship.python.net/crew/aahz/IPC9/index.html

regards
 Steve