With or Using

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Tue Apr 17 20:48:40 EDT 2001

> If you write:
>
>  a = A()
>  with a:
>     .b = c
>
> you could tell that b belongs to a while c is independant
> from a. This is
> the only good way to use a with and also the only part I
> really like about
> Visual Basic's syntax.

a = A()
a.b = B()

with a:
    with .b:
        .c = d

Hmm ... which object is .c in? Perhaps we need

with a:
    with .b:
        ..c = d

to disambiguate?

I have *never* liked "with"-type clauses - I used them in Pascal for about
10 days before I discarded them - and that was in a language where there was
no ambiguity. In python, where you don't have to declare variables first
(see other thread - personally, I prefer it this way for a dynamically-typed
language) this makes it deadly dangerous.

Tim Delaney