Whither SmallScript? (was Re: Integer micro-benchmarks)

Steve Wart swart at deadspam.com
Thu Apr 26 09:15:19 EDT 2001

"David Simmons" <pulsar at qks.com> wrote in message ...
> "Steve Wart" <swart at deadspam.com> wrote ...
> > 1.2GHz Athlon, Win2K SP2, 512Mb RAM -> David
> > 333 PII, Win2K SP1, 192Mb RAM -> Steve
> > [I gotta get in Redmond's good books :)]
>
> That's not how I got the machine if that's what you're thinking.

Sorry if it came across the wrong way -- it was just a joke. My machine is
just over 3 years old now. But I wanna G4 :)

> > Does SmallScript come with AOS?
>
> Yes. Both the SmallScript compiler and a corresponding execution engine
(the
> core AOS Platform VM) will be free.
>
> The SmallScript compiler and scripting/dynamic language support libraries
> for the Microsoft.NET Platform will not be free. As to other frameworks,
> tools, etc -- that will be determined on a case by case basis.

So I can use SmallScript for free if I don't care about calling .NET
services? Which platforms are you planning to support with the AOS
VM/SmallScript? Mac/Linux/Windows at least?

> The AOS Platform is a quasi language independent
> object-model/virtual-machine which is now in its 4th major generation
since
> I first designed it back at the end of 1990. That design was derived
> (extensively influenced) from work I did on C based (vm) object systems
> beginning back in 1986.

What do you mean by "quasi language independent" -- that it supports
SmallScript and the "convential" AOS Smalltalk? Will it support python, for
example?

Steve (swart at bigserver dot com) -- .sig in progress
http://www.visualknowledge.com