GUI Toolkit API? (was: Tkinter and wxPython)

Vadim Zeitlin zeitlin at seth.lpthe.jussieu.fr
Sat Apr 21 12:56:36 EDT 2001

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:34:46 -0400, Rocco Moretti <roccomoretti at netscape.net> wrote:
>So why can't we make programs that can run under any windowing toolkit?

 Because it is difficult. The entire wxWindows project is about providing
common interface to Win32, Motif and GTK+ APIs (and now also OS/2 and Mac) and
all these APIs are quite similar compared to TkInter, for example. BTW, some
time ago (in the very beginning of KDE vs. GNOME war) some people did propose
to write wxQt port which would allow writing programs in wxWindows and build
them either using wxGTK (=> GNOME) or wxQt (=> KDE). However it never really
started because of lack of interest: apparently, people writing programs for
GNOME are not that interested in running them under KDE and vice versa.

 But, to return to the main subject: I don't belive that you can do it. Even
with unlimited amount of free time (a strong assumption) it would still be
difficult to do it without creating a 100Mb monster library collapsing under
its own weight and complexity.

 Regards,
VZ
--
GCS/GM d? H+ s++:-- p2 au--- a- w+ v C+++ UBLS+++ P- L++ N++ E--- W++++ M? V--
-po+ R++ G`` !tv b+++ D--- e++++ u++ h--- f+ r++ n- y?