alny way of not using glob?

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at usa.net
Tue Apr 3 23:19:15 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tsang, Edward1" <e_tsang at trillium.com>
Subject: RE: alny way of not using glob?

> I was trying to get the script written under python 2.0 to work under
1.5.2.

> But I just discoverd that python1.5.2 that they installed is faulty and
they
> have no intention to reinstall it as not many peple use it ...

Slobs.

> Now instead of trying to get around getopt or glob.. I need to translate
the
> script to work with Python 1.5.2 ..
> How to translate the following lines which uses Python 2.0 string
operation
> to ones that are understands by Python1.5.2???
>
> Is the following fine?
>                    [fromValue, toValue] = line.split(delimiter)[:2]
>                         # Split line
>         replaced by:
>                    [fromValue, toValue] = string.split(line,delimiter)

Wouldn't this be more correct:

    fromValue, toValue = string.split(line,delimiter)[:2]

I'm not sure why you would have [ ] on the lefthand side.

> No idea how to replace these lines with 1.5.2 syntax:
>            if caseInsensitive:
>                 #    charMap[ord(fromValue.upper())] = toValue
>                 #    charMap[ord(fromValue.lower())] = toValue
> replaced by:

             if caseInsensitive:
                  charMap[ord(string.upper(fromValue[0]))] = toValue
                  charMap[ord(string.lower(fromValue[0]))] = toValue

Note that ord() is supposed to be used on a string of one character.

>                 # self.charMap = "".join(charMap)
> replaced by:
>          self.charMap = string.join("",charMap)

Backwards.  Like this:

           self.charMap = string.join(charMap, "")

>        if not wholeWords:
>             # rePattern = '|'.join(map(re.escape, fromVals))
> replaced by:
>             rePattern = string.join('|', map(re.escape,fromVals))

Backwards again.  Here:

              rePattern = string.join(map(re.escape,fromVals), "|")

>         else:
>             # rePattern = r'\b(' + '|'.join(map(re.escape, fromVals)) +
r')\b'
> replaced by:
>             temp = string.join('|', map(re.escape,fromVals))
>             temp = string.join(temp,r')\b')
>             rePattern = string.join(r'\b(',temp) --- ???

Backwards here also.  Separator follows list to be joined.  Also,
the second line uses string.join incorrectly, when all you seem to
want is simple string addition.  From this:

              temp = string.join(map(re.escape,fromVals), '|')
              temp = temp + r')\b'
              rePattern = r'\b(' + temp

I shrink to this:

              rePattern = r'\b(' + string.join(map(re.escape,fromVals), '|')
+ r')\b'

> Tahnks

You're welcome.  Hey, answer a few questions for me if you will.  What
OS is on the webserver?  If it is one for which there is a CGIPython
build available, you could at least have a non-defective Python
interpreter.  CGIPython is a 1.5.2-based "distribution" of Python
packed in a single executable, aimed specifically at web services
which are too braindead to provide a (working?) Python interpreter.

Find it at:

    http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/mxCGIPython.html