PEP 245

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Thu Apr 5 01:30:53 EDT 2001

[Alex Shindich]
> It is also obvious to me that there is serious thrust for
> interface adoption coming from "Digital Creations"...

That's been in plain view for years:  DC's CTO (Jim Fulton) did the first
prototype interface implementation the first time the Python Types SIG went
around.  I gather it's been, off & on, a hot topic at DC ever since.

> (Do new Guido's employers have a lot of say in the situation? I can
> speculate that they do... but then again I don't know for sure.)

Since Zope is the best example of a large production Python application Guido
is close to, things that do and don't work for Zope in practice have *always*
carried a lot of weight.  For example, that's where extension classes and
pickles came from; OTOH, DC's was the loudest voice against switching from
string-based to class-based exceptions, and they "lost" that one.  You
misjudge if you think DC's backing alone is enough to sell something, ditto
if you think DC's backing will (or should) cause Guido to bend over backwards
to avoid the appearance of undue influence.  He doesn't think that way!  He's
a true geek; political ploys and implications whiz right by him, pro or con.

So far, I bet Guido hasn't even read the relevant PEPs.

> One thing still bothers me -- Perl people will have a real reason to
> laugh. Indeed, interfaces in a loosely typed language that supports
> introspection -- that's a real joke!

oh-ya-fud-and-ridicule-carry-a-lot-of-weight<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim