bit by LONG_BIT (was Re: ActivePython 2.1 (build 210))

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Sun Apr 22 12:34:23 EDT 2001

Re: Cygwin

>But then somebody told me that it really isn't natural to make Unix run
>on Windows.

I've been using a binary install of cygwin with tcsh and gvim for quite
some time. This gives me a basic command line with things like grep,
find, ls with options and the like, as well as an easy way to run around
the file system and edit with my favorite editor (vim).

I don't do anything serious with gcc.

Cygwin is very well suited for what I just described. If you set things
up right, you can even explore from pwd.

I've seldom had any problems. One thing which sucks is that there
is no real support for ctrl-z/bg. You generally have to remember to
& everything in advance. This has been so problematic for me that
I keep a scripts to intercept certain frequently executed commands
which sweeps up their arg lines and then calls the binary with an
automatic & appended to it.

C//