Newbie needs book advice

Ron Stephens rdsteph at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 15 01:27:56 EDT 2001

Well, as another newbie who bought and has used both books within the last
few weeks, I can definitely say that the only correct solution is to buy
BOTH books ;-))

Seriously, they are both quite excellent; I find it impossible to say one is
better than the other.

If anything, the only difference I can point out is that, in my inexpert and
newbie opinion, the Learning Python O'Relliy book by Mark Lutz and David
Ascher is perhaps more advanced. On the other hand, the Learning to Program
Book by Alan Gauld goes into more basic discussion and explanation, which is
better for total newbies I think. For instance, Mr. Gault gives detailed
explanations of the basic underlying concepts involved, including code
samples from other languages as well as from Python. It is an excellent book
for someone who really needs to start from close to ground zero.

An added bonus is that many of the authors of these books are online here on
this newsgroup and on the Tutor mail list on the www.python.org site, and
freely answer newbie's questions online! I know Mr. Gault has so helped me
several times already.

What a great community!!! ;-))))

Ron Stephens