ActiveState going the wrong way

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 15:15:20 EDT 2001

<costas at meezon.com> wrote in message
news:3ad34bff.1635308863 at News.CIS.DFN.DE...
    [snip]
> >limited experience I've come into contact with four languages and I don't
have
> >the option to choose the on eI want (Python) and stick with it.
>
> No dream here. There is an old adage that applies to IDE's just as
> good as to  people.
>
> "Familiar of many, master of none"

The English way to put it is "Jack of all trades, master of none".

It may apply to IDE's (me, I program with text-oriented tools at a console
anytime I can get away with it -- except, admittedly, for debuggers), but
it sure doesn't apply to programming languages -- just like for natural
languages, the more you know, the easier it is to master the next one.

This may well be because they're NOT disparate 'trades' -- they're different
perspective points on similar problem-spaces.  The more viewpoints you
can look from, the better your grasp of the whole -- the better that overall
grasp of the 'space' that's being looked at, the more effective you are at
comprehending a somewhat different viewpoint on the same space.

Some of us are in fact pretty _happy_ to get substantial chances to
practice different natural languages -- AND different programming ones...

Alex