Python vs. PHP

William Park parkw at better.net
Fri Apr 20 21:18:52 EDT 2001

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 07:31:36PM -0500, ll wrote:
> How does Python stack up against PHP in terms of performance?  PHP runs
> as a module in Apache, I think, whereas Python runs in a seperate
> process.  What kind of overhead is there in starting up the VM for each
> page hit?  How well does it scale?

Python is stand-alone general script language, much like Perl.  Whereas
PHP is designed to integrate into HTML file as another <...> syntax, so
it has very tight interface with SQL database and Apache, naturally.
But, Python and PHP are very different beast.

--William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, 8 CPUs.
  Linux, python, LaTeX, vim, mutt