ActivePython 2.1 (build 210)

Mark Hadfield m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz
Sun Apr 22 17:34:48 EDT 2001

From: "Paul Prescod" <paulp at ActiveState.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

> As I said, we are working out which variants of Windows require quotes
> in which places to get which of the utilities to work. Even though
> people download it freely, we don't think it is right to tell our
> customers to do our quality assurance for us.

OK, good point. But some of your customers are *willing* to help you with
your quality assurance.

> If we don't know it works, we will give a warning.

"Don't do it" is a little stronger than a warning. How about "Do it if you
dare, and tell us exactly what problems you encounter."

> BTW, the quotes around the path do not, as far as we know, cause any
> serious problems on any variant of Windows. On the other hand, it may be
> that we were over-conservative in adding them. I'll check with our QA
> and installer guys about that.

Hmmm. I was a bit careless on that one. The situation on my Windows 2000
system is:

1. The quotes are not necessary.

2. Adding the quotes does no harm for standard Windows path-searching
applications, eg cmd.exe & the Run dialogue box

3. The quotes cause problems under the Cygwin bash shell (which is what I
normally use). The quoted path comes through the Cygwin DLL's
Windows-to-Unix conversion unchanged and the shell doesn't understand it.

As far as I recall, the same is true under NT 4.

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research

--
Posted from clam.niwa.cri.nz [202.36.29.1]